Our Managing Director Anabel Mifsud has recently joined FinanceMalta, for a discussion concerning Malta as an ideal jurisdiction for Private Equity (PE) and Venture Capital (VC) Funds. The podcast touched on many different and interesting points, including the following:
* Malta is an EU country and as such, it can offer the same fund structures available in the bigger jurisdictions such as the Alternative Investment Fund (AIF). Similar to the RAIF in #Luxembourg, #Malta offers the Notified AIF (NAIF). The NAIF offers a quicker time to market and a simpler solution for anyone who is not looking for a fully regulated structure.
* Most of these structures are not set up to be marketed and therefore they are jurisdiction agnostic. In this regard, Malta also offers another structure namely the Professional Investor Fund (PIF) which although regulated offers more flexibility.
* Apart from #Ireland, Malta is the only English-speaking jurisdiction within the EU allowing easier communication with service providers, investors, and others involved in the fund.
* Services provided are tailored to the needs of the client. Given Malta is a small jurisdiction all service providers are used to training their teams in all aspects of fund operations, hence making it easier for clients when dealing with a small number of individuals.
* Malta is considered a cost-effective option when compared to larger jurisdictions, such as Ireland and Luxembourg.
* From a PE and VC perspective it is good to keep in mind that Malta has over 80 double tax treaties, and funds set up in Malta are tax-neutral even at the level of non-resident investors.
* The licensing process to obtain a license in Malta is also quite time-efficient.
Listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3FAdY6k
Get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org for any assistance you might require.